CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY – Floods in various parts of Lanao del Norte province have left four dead and more than 25,000 persons affected as of Tuesday.
In a statement, Gov. Imelda Quibranza-Dimaporo said the floods should serve as a "wake up" call in taking care of the environment.
"All of these happen because we abuse our environment," she said, even as she urged local officials to conduct pro-environment activities, such as regular tree-planting activities.
"But it should not be just mere tree planting, the seedlings must also survive," Dimaporo said.
Based on the recent data from the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (DRRMC), flood-hit families rose to 7,675, with four injuries.
The floods, which started on January 2, were caused by rains brought by the trough of a low pressure area.
The Regional DRRMC in Northern Mindanao said nine Lanao del Norte LGUs are affected.
Meanwhile, President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. will visit Gingoog City in Misamis Oriental on Wednesday (Jan. 11, 2023) to check the situation of flooded areas in the province.
Misamis Oriental, along with Misamis Occidental, were also hit with floods and landslides last month. (PNA)