MANILA – The nine dismissed Jolo police officers who were linked in the fatal shooting of four Army intelligence officers in June 29 last year were released to the custody of their families and lawyers as the courts have yet to issue an arrest warrant against them, Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Gen. Debold Sinas said on Monday.
"Sila ay narelease na kasi walang arrest warrant na binigay sa amin. Coordinating with DOJ, hanggang ngayon wala (They were released because there are no arrest warrants given to us. We are coordinating with the Department of Justice but until now there is still no update yet)," he said in a press briefing at Camp Crame.
Sinas said the PNP was forced to release the nine cops last week as they do not want to be charged with arbitrary detention.
Last week, a panel of prosecutors of the DOJ found probable cause to indict the nine police officers -- Senior M/Sgt. Abdelzhimar Padjiri; M/Sgt. Hanie Baddiri; S/Sgt. Iskandar Susulan; S/Sgt. Ernisar Sappal; Cpl. Sulki Andaki; Pat. Moh Nur Pasani; S/Sgt. Almudzrin Hadjaruddin; Pat. Alkajal Mandangan; and Pat. Rajiv Putalan for four counts of murder and planting of evidence.
The panel also did not recommend bail for the accused.
Sinas earlier approved the dismissal from service of the nine police officers.
Killed in the June 29, 2020 incident were Maj. Marvin A. Indammog, 39; Capt. Irwin B. Managuelod, 33; Sgt. Jaime M. Velasco, 38, and Cpl. Abdal Asula, 33.
The four soldiers were conducting intelligence and monitoring operations against two suspected suicide bombers when gunned down by the nine Jolo police officers. (with Priam Nepomuceno/PNA)