If you’ve been scrolling though the internet, then you know how one of the most classic recipes turned viral thanks to a single video. Egg fried rice has been enjoyed for countless years, but is now making a comeback because of Uncle Roger’s reaction video that has 19 million views to date.
Now Uncle Roger made a few good points in the video about making fried rice. From how you wash the rice to using a wok, making fried rice calls for a few tips and techniques that we’ll be covering today. If you want to make it at home, here’s a simple recipe you can try.
Before You Make Egg Fried Rice:
- Choose the best rice. Of course, different types of rice will yield different results. For this recipe I used jasmine rice for the flavor and texture. You can experiment with different types of rice depending if you want it to be dense or fluffy.
- Wash your rice before cooking. This is an important step to remove as much excess starch as possible. This will result in fluffy grains compared to having clumps that stick together.
- Use freshly cooked rice. Now it’s an old tale that you have to use day-old rice for the best fried rice. But freshly cooked rice works just as well, and will still retain some moisture so your fried rice won’t be too dry. After your rice is cooked, leave it out for an hour on a baking sheet to air-dry.
- Use a wok. As Uncle Roger always likes to point out, use a wok. It has different benefits: it heats up evenly, you use less oil on a wok, and it’s much easier to toss and stir food. If you don’t have one, then it’s probably worth the investment.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of jasmine rice
- pinch of salt or msg
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions
- 2 tbsp minced chives
- Wash your rice until it water turns almost clear. Cook as usual. Spread it out on a baking tray in a thin layer and leave it out to air dry for at least an hour.
- Beat eggs thoroughly. Deep fry in a wok, straining it through a slotted spoon (see video for reference). Once cooked, strain excess oil and set aside.
- Heat up wok until it starts to smoke. Add peanut oil. Once hot, add rice, mixing and breaking it apart for 2 minutes. Create a well in the center and add more oil. Add in garlic and scallions and cook until fragrant. Add in egg and season with salt and soy sauce according to taste.
- Right before serving, add chives and mix until combined.
Kimchi Fried Rice Recipe With Homemade Kimchi
Easy Fried Rice Recipe